Friday, February 1, 2019

Def Meets Deaf Poetry Jam 10th Anniversary Performances

On January 26th, Lovin' Cup had a show titled Def Meets Deaf Poetry Jam 10th Anniversary. Hearing poets or performers did their readings in English, and deaf/hard of hearing performers did theirs in American Sign Language (ASL). This 10th anniversary event celebrated the 10th year of the event. 

As for myself as a master of ceremony and also performing artist, I introduced the deaf/hard of hearing performers that I recruited. I also performed my poem Orange Monkey, an anti-Trump protest piece of work, in ASL. I then translated Patti Smith's "People Have the Power" song into ASL while playing the song. Lastly, I performed my short story about gay cats with humor titled "Felines Brawl", done in ASL. 

Again, the crowd turned out packed and the event was a success. John Roche, my master of ceremony partner (who recruited the hearing performers) and I were pleased with the results. We thank Lovin Cup for allowing us to present this unique performance show for 10 years. 

Here are photos you can rejoice looking at.

 Here is my performance of Patti Smith "People Have the Power" song





 John Roche and Myself as Maters of Ceremonies

Two great interpreters Sarah and Cindy did great job



No comments:

Post a Comment