Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Statue of David

Click on this photo to make it bigger.


This project took me about 2 weeks to complete. It's color pencils on color paper. I have a 2 foot tall marble sculpture of Statue of David in my living room, set on the floor. I used that as a reference. I relied on my right hand to use as a reference for the hand drawing. I then found a photo of Earth online to use as a reference to draw the Earth. The most challenging experience was trying to draw planet Earth which I have never done before. It took me a while to figure out how to do the clouds and landscapes, make the planet 3-D, and make it work behind the statue. The hand was a challenge as I had to make sure the fingers are proportional and the shape of the hand is correct as possible. The other obstacle I had to overcome is how to make the Earth and the statue distinguishable, for they both got muddled up and looked confusing. I had to draw the white outline around the sculpture and the hand. That solved the problem. If you look closer, you'd notice something in the statue's ear: it's a hearing aid. Henceforth, it's a message on deafness identity. The rainbow beams coming out of his eyes refers to gay identity. The hand shows someone's desire to touch him. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment