Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pictures of My "Joey" ASL Poetry Performance for World AIDS Day Benefit Concert



I got photos of my ASL poetry performance with the dancers for World AIDS Benefit Concert on December 1st, 2010. The performance took place at the Hochstein Music Performance Hall in Rochester, NY. The poem is titled "Joey". I played the electronic music I composed with my voice recorded. I translated my voice into ASL while the work was played. The dancers joined and danced around me. It was a lot of fun and it was also powerful.

You can read this poem, "Joey", to get an idea with what was being said.



“Joey”


My name is Joey -

Cute face and beautiful my skin.

Collecting money from the men is my bliss.

I wear tight jeans and t-shirts out on the streets,

Then I strip myself nude under the silky sheets.


My hair is a beauty and I’m young -

Green eyes and my body strong.

I’ve seen men come then go.

I’ve heard them flirt on the phones.


Oh god, life isn’t always kind.

Men having fun then dying.

Yet I see there are illness untold.

My soul will soon must go.


My name is Joey -

Grayed eyes and my body underweight.

Shed tears through heartache and pain.

I gradually turn ill in the shadow of grief,

Then I slowly close my eyes under the white sheets.


My name is Joey. Can you remember me?

My name is Joey. Can you pray for me?


No comments:

Post a Comment